Friday, February 22, 2013

Asian Fusion



     Okay, so I had a little bit of a tornado of hectic scrambling last week, and wasn't able to post because of it. Now I'm back on the wagon and here to talk about a couple of different games I've been looking to play.

    The first is Big Eyes Small Mouth, a game I was cajoled/conscripted to play as a part of the podcast that I record with. The Wicked Anime crew consists of most of my former gaming group, and during one of our post recording talks, the idea of running a BESM campaign came up. Everyone thought this was a wonderful idea, as we could each pick a genre we really loved for our respective characters. Or have a genre foisted upon you like plague. In an effort to avoid having to play the magical girl (because for some reason, as the tokusatsu and sentai fan, they wouldn't let me be a Power Ranger or Kamen Rider. Which was just cruel.), I volunteered to DM the shenanigans.

    We held a poll on the what time of campaign it should be, and the fans chose the ragtag crew team-up. What a wonderful windfall.This has let to some really neat avenues of thought because this isn't really a defined genre in terms of setting. I can run the whole of time and space with this, as long as the characters are using there disparate abilities and natures in overcoming the obstacles. So, look forward to ninjas, spaceships, giant robots, magical girls and just a touch of high school drama. Should be fun.

    Moving on to my personal gaming, The Secret World hasn't slowed down in its ability to keep me interested. My cabal consists of some pretty cool guys, and I've even run my first dungeon. DPS is a new experience, but I totally get why people chase those big critical hit numbers now. I'm slowly branching into a more support/dps playstyle, and I might even begin to pick up some tanking abilities, just to round things out.

   On the tabletop front, I've got the backbone of a Pathfinder campaign that seems like it might be fun. I think I might take cue from the old 3.5 setting Ravenloft and run some traditional gothic horror for my group. Vampires ruling cities hidden in the mist, werewolves terrorizing villagers, ghosts keening balefully in the night. It's different from my normal high adventure style and kind of refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment