Thursday, February 7, 2013

Rage against the Immaterium


     So, earlier today I was catching up on m daily blogs and webcomics when I was greeted with this nonsense. Basically, it's an article that outlines how Games Workshop is bullying writers and other companies in an effort to secure the term "Space Marine" as a trademarked property. I'll let you read this, then we'll discuss this.

     Legalwatch - GW Makes the News...

     Read it? Good, because here comes the rant.

     I cannot believe this blatant... bullying. There is no other term for it. This is very much a case of a larger, more powerful entity forcing its own agenda on someone that stands no chance off being able to fight back. This is ridiculousness of the highest order.

    That aside, there are two things that are even worse than this predication. First, was Amazon giving in to Games Workshop. This does nothing but set a precedent for Games Workshop to continue its vendetta of legalese harassment. In no way was Amazon required to take down the book from its online store. It did so to save its own ass. Has the threat of litigation become so powerful that even the mighty corporation won't stand behind it's community of creators and producers?

     The second part of this fiasco is to me the sadder of the two. In no way can I affect Games Workshop's decision to harass these creators. My personal boycott of their products would do no good. Even if I were to convince my few friends that are fans and that purchase their products to stop it in support of this writer would not even register in Games Workshop's ledger. So here I am ranting about it.

    And then I realized there was something I can do. Actually, there was something my very community of peers could do.

    We can take it back.

    The only thing we can really do to stop the kind of ham-handedness is to make our own stories about Space Marines. And not Games Workshop's either, but the Space Marines that have existed in the genre for over eighty years now. They may own the trademark, but they do not own the trope. I know this idea may seem silly to some, but this concept that people have the right to own whole, broad concepts is irrational and ultimately stifles creativity. The only way to win is to fight.

     And fight I will. This abuse of power has gone on too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment